How do I recognize the LEZ?
You will recognize the LEZ by these signs. This road sign will also be used in other future low emission zones in Flanders. These signs indicate that you are entering or exiting the LEZ.
Once you drive past this board, you are inside the LEZ. There are also automatic number plate recognition cameras at the entrances to the LEZ. They zoom in on every number plate, comparing it to the list of admitted vehicles. When a camera registers a vehicle that does not comply with these conditions, a fine will be sent to the owner. That is why you should always check your vehicle with the check tool before entering the LEZ.
Can other Belgian cities also enforce an LEZ?
They can. The Flemish LEZ legislation applies to the whole of Flanders. Ghent will introduce an LEZ in 2020. The conditions for admission will be identical to those in Antwerp. In Mechelen, an LEZ will be introduced in 2021.
Attention: permits after payment for the LEZ Antwerp are not valid in other cities with low emission zones. Free registrations are valid in the Flemish low emission zones, but not in Brussels.
You can find further information about the enforcement of an LEZ in Mechelen on the City of Mechelen’s website. Kindly refer to the City of Ghent’s website for further information about the enforcement of an LEZ in Ghent from 2020.
More information about the various low emission zones in Flanders can be found on the LNE website (in Dutch).
Brussels will enforce an LEZ on 1/1/2018. Attention: the conditions for admission in Antwerp and Brussels are different because Brussels is not Flemish, and enforces different regulations as a result! This means your vehicle may be admitted in Brussels, but not in Antwerp! Always use the check tool to check your vehicle before coming to Antwerp!
The biggest differences between the LEZ in Antwerp and the LEZ in Brussels in a nutshell:
You can find further information about the Brussels LEZ at www.lez.brussels.
How many Vehicles may enter the LEZ?
The estimate for 2016 is that 75 % of all vehicles fulfil the LEZ conditions. Most other cars may enter the LEZ after payment. By 2020, 85 % of all vehicles should be able to automatically enter the LEZ because people buy new vehicles. The remaining 15 % may no longer enter the LEZ or will have to buy a temporary permit.
Why isn't the LEZ larger?
An LEZ is mainly efficient in densely populated areas - the city centre - and must be clearly defined. Then the situation is clear for everyone.
Why is the Antwerp Ring road not included in the LEZ?
The traffic on the Antwerp Ring Road effectively contributes to the air pollution in Antwerp. However, the town council has no authority over motorways or the Antwerp Ring Road. In order to reduce traffic on the Ring road and/or make it more environmentally-friendly, the Government of Flanders is currently preparing the toll payment scheme for trucks and a road vignette scheme for passenger cars.
The LEZ is designed to improve local air quality. Our objective is first and foremost to reduce pollutants such as particulate matter and elemental carbon (soot). These emissions are inhaled, especially by vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians, who circulate alongside the roads in the zone. The introduction of the LEZ does has have a substantial effect on local air quality.
Following a deviation, I entered the LEZ with a vehicle that is not admitted. Will I get fined?
If you are forced to follow a deviation that runs partly through the LEZ as a result of road works or after an accident (following signs or directions of a police officer), you will not be fined if you followed this deviation correctly.
How can I reach the P+R on Linkeroever, coming from the E34 or E17 without driving through the LEZ?
If you are traveling to Antwerp via the E17:
If you are traveling to Antwerp via the E34:
U can find a plan here
Are Sportpaleis and Lotto Arena situated in the LEZ?
Large sections of Singel, Noorderlaan from Kinepolis, and a large part of Blancefloerlaan on the Left Bank fall within the Low Emission Zone (LEZ).
While Sportpaleis and Lotto Arena are not actually situated in the LEZ, they are right next to it. However, the ‘Slachthuis’, ‘Park Spoor Oost’ and ‘Noordersingel’ car parks are situated in the LEZ!
Attention! Your sat-nav may suggest a route that runs through the LEZ to get to Sportpaleis or Lotto Arena. This depends on where you are coming from.
If you accidentally enter the LEZ with a vehicle that is not admitted, you must buy an LEZ day pass before midnight of the same day. The LEZ day pass (€35) can be purchased from one of the parking machines in the Spoor Oost car park and on the Slachthuislaan. This way you will avoid an administrative fine of €150.